Thursday, February 10, 2005

Moooood swiiiiing

I have been having odd mood swings today. I was bound and determined to get a hold of Fr. Ference, come hell or high water. (Hell or high water = Cliche! Says my Newswriting prof. Forbidden! Ten points off!) So I woke up at nine and started calling St. Mary's. I kept getting his machine. Finally I called the parish office itself, and the lady (I think it was a lady although it sounded suspiciously like a man) told me to just leave a message on the machine and she would remind Fr. Damian there were messages. He finally got back to me around 12:30. Betsy, confirmation is at 4 o'clock on April 2. You must come and be my sponsor or I will diieeee. Or something.

Getting that done was the "up" part of the mood swing. I also went to see my journalism advisor today to get my DARS report, - for my non-OU readers, that would be a computer report that tells you how far along you are in requirements for your major - and that was the "down" part. She wasn't very friendly, for some reason, and I am going to have to take info-gathering next quarter. Lauren, is that a hard class? Everything I have heard points to yes. And I was gonna give myself a break next quarter, too, :(

When I got back to the dorm, I had to struggle for about ninety minutes with my umbrella, which has joined the local union and now refuses to open and close without intense negotiation with management. In the process, I dropped my notebook and my DARS report into the lake, I mean, puddle, forming outside the back door of Lincoln Hall. My hair was in Full Frizz Mode, I hadn't showered yet, and I had pretty much had it. SNOW, Athens weather idiots, predict SNOW without ICE and I will love you forever and adopt your cats when you die.

He he, so they had pancakes in the dining hall Tuesday night, I hear. What you may not know (time for the Paul Harvey "Rest of the Story" schtick) is that eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday - also known as Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday - is a traditional custom for preparing for Ash Wednesday and Lent! People make pancakes on Tuesday because they contain fat, butter, and other foods forbidden during the penitential season, and you gotta use 'em up. See link here. Har! Seeeee, even secular universities and students celebrate Lent the Catholic way, without even knowing it! :)

2 comments:

  1. Well, Maggles, I am also suffering from mood swings, allthough mine are not odd. If you buy me a ticket for saturday morning, then i'll come, maggles. otherewise,my fat butt will be breaking the lenten fast here, in lovely DC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! Pancakes on Shrove Tuesday! We used to do that every year at the Episcopal Church! I got to run around for hours setting up, decorating, organizing the other people volunteering, serving drinks and busing tables! My back was killing me by the time we closed up, but it was always a lot of fun. Lots of nice old people stuck at that church... Maybe we can get them to join us after the end of the month, lol.

    Wow, that was almost liking having a Monday on a Weds... I did that Tuesday, when I managed to knock our sugar storage contanier off the counter and on to the floor. You have any idea how much "fun" it is to clean sugar off lanolium? (sp?)

    I'm sure today will be better. :hugs:

    I'd send you snow, but I don't have enough to go around here... Sorry! ;)

    -Shan

    ReplyDelete