Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I don't know what to say

I am really, really elated. It will be so strange to say Benedict XVI instead of John Paul II, but I think I will get used to it. This is how much of a dork I am; I think this actually counts as the happiest day of my life. Or the happiest one I can remember, anyway! The only unfortunate thing is that the Holy Father is already 78, so he won't have a 26 year pontificate like John Paul II.

How wonderful he is, though. I am sure he will do wonders for the Church.

I skipped my psychology class to watch the announcement; first they opened the balcony doors, and let down the red curtains. Then the Cardinal Deacon doing the announcing came out from between the drapes. He kept PAUSING. When he said "Josephum" my mind raced trying to think of any other Cardinals named Joseph. And then, after another pause (which felt like it lasted ten minutes) the Cardinal Deacon said, "Ratzinger, who takes for himself the name Benedict XVI." Joy! I was actually dancing around in my dorm room. That is the definition of dorkdum! Which label I happily will accept! :) Then the Holy Father came out and gave his blessing, urbi et orbi. Today is a happy day; even my speech went well; I was just kind of on a high from the announcement. Hurray!

Sorry I'm so giddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment