Saturday, July 09, 2005

Fun fun fun

Tonight was lots of fun. The entire family went out in the backyard and lit sparklers! It WAS several days after the Fourth of July, but both Mother and I had to work on Independence Day, so there wasn't much hope of doing anything on the actual holiday. Such is life.

However, my family, and my brother especially, would never miss the opportunity to celebrate with fire. You know. Pyrooomaniaaaaa. ;)

Anyway, this year my mother bought two boxes of sparklers, the very long kind. We usually get about four or five boxes of the shorter sparklers, and I think I like those better. While these long ones lasted for quite a while, we only got two a piece, and when they were gone ... No more sparkler fun! My brothers had a good time chasing each other around with theirs. I swear, one of these days there are going to be serious injuries around here, and the police will be called, and cart us away. Or they would have in the old days. I think us kids are getting a bit too old for the authorities to be much concerned in terms of child endangerment - two 20 year olds, a 17 year old, and a 14 year old? They would just take Andy away for assault and battery.

Speaking of possible injuries, one of the up-sides to the long sparklers is that none of them were "lost" in the grass in our backyard. Our backyard is pretty big, and my brothers have a tradition of throwing their sparklers up in the air, which is very pretty but also inconvenient when they go out on the way down. It's quite hard to find an extinguished sparkler in the dark in that grass! The boys love to play football, baseball, and do-something-violent-to-each-other-and-pretend-it's-athletics in the backyard. So it's only a matter of time before one of them impales himself on a spent sparkler. Argh.

Anyway, Happy Fourth of July everyone! Again!

Oh and before I forget - we got great news this weekend. My friend Shannon was accepted at Hillsdale College. Yay! Now I have somewhere cool to visit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment