Sunday, March 19, 2006

Home sweet Hudson

My oh my, but is it COLD up here in northeastern Ohio!

I was getting spoiled by those 60-degree days in Athens. Is it technically spring yet? It feels like the beginning of February up here...

My spring break reading consists of Walker Percy's Love in the Ruins and Papa Benedict's Truth and Tolerance: Christianity and World Religions. Much as I love Papa's work, I just can't seem to get in the mood for serious thinking. So I've been sticking with Percy. Not, of course, that Percy's writing isn't deep, profound, meaningful, etc., but it's certainly not as demanding as the former Card. Ratzinger's work. :)

I have one grade - one! to report on; I got word from my medieval history professor that I have pretty much locked a solid A in her class. I was so worried about the final, and it turns out I whipped it - a 99 percent! You could knock me over, that's for sure. I don't know how it happened, she must have curved the grades. My essays stunk enough to pose a public health threat. Seriously. I felt ill after I put my pen down. I truly felt ashamed; I haven't performed that badly since my sophomore year of high school, when I was led, a spotless, incompetent lamb, to Madame Brickley's US History guillotine. "This DBQ you wrote grades as a three, my dear. We want fives. Fives!" Drum roll... Thwack!

I have to say that Mrs. Brickley had to put up with a lot, and she did not actually have recourse to the neck-slicer (although I am sure on some occasions she wished she did). In fact, she did manage to teach me to write like an enlightened history student. Not that you could tell from my medieval history efforts!

No comments:

Post a Comment