Thursday, April 06, 2006

A church so ugly...

..That no one, in forty years, has agreed to get married there.

From the Telegraph:

...The 1960s-designed Good Shepherd with St John in West Bromwich has been christened an "architectural kiss of death" by its vicar, the Rev Patrick Okechi, 42.

Would-be brides and grooms say the post-modern building looks unromantic in photographs and would ruin their special day, according to Mr Okechi...

Full article.

The brief story does not include a photograph of the offensive architecture.

I can think of a few churches where I myself would not want to be married... Most examples of modern architecture make my blood curdle, although I have seen a few designs I have liked (they still wouldn't have "worked" as churches, though). Basically all architecture from the 60s and 70s is beyond the pale, however!

No comments:

Post a Comment