Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Lake House

I had a very lovely evening yesterday - I and three of my old high school friends (Shannon, Katie, and Carli) got together and went to see a movie. Afterward we talked for a while and caught up on what everyone has been doing and what we have planned for the future. It was wonderful to see them again, although we were still missing three from the old clique: My sister, Katherine, and Nick.

The movie we saw was The Lake House, starring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Yes, the old Speed couple, back together again. The basic premise is that Keanu and Sandra are both living in this interesting, all-glass lake house in the Chicago area, except that Keanu is living in it the past and Sandra finished up her lease in 2006. They begin corresponding through letters in the house's mailbox, which must be a time vortex or something.

It was an okay movie. It had a "twist" ending whose twistiness was called into question by the fact that both me and Katie figured it out about three-fourths of the way through the film. There was also the inevitable emotional manipulation, which is standard operating procedure in a movie like this. However, it was still a pretty good flick.

I particularly enjoyed the fact that the two main characters fell in love through their letters before they even physically laid eyes on each other; some people nowadays think that is actually impossible! It was a pleasingly counter-cultural element of the script. It just goes to show you that sex and other physical concerns are not the most important part of a relationship. When the lovers decide that they want to meet in real life, Keanu's character vows to wait the necessary two years until he "catches up" with Sandra in the present. And he does.

Anyway, a good time was had by all, I believe. I've got quite a bit to do today, and I slept in - so I've got to quit writing and start working!

No comments:

Post a Comment