Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Great headline

At AOL news this afternoon:

Car Slams Into Store, Missing Man (Don't click if your computer can't handle video)

This is one of those can't-look-away video news clips about a car which smashes into a store and narrowly misses a bystander. But the headline doesn't quite make that clear. You could be forgiven for thinking that the errant auto had been caught on tape actually taking out someone on the "missing persons" list.

"I have good news and bad news, ma'am. The good news is, after alll this time, we finally found your husband. The bad news is..."

HA!

I know there are people at Scripps who have huge collections of even greater gems, such as "Something Went Wrong in Plane Crash, Expert Says" or my favorite, "Lung Cancer in Women Mushrooms" which ostensibly headlines an important health story but which gives the impression that a certain kind of fungus has somehow acquired not only gender but also lungs and a vulnerability to cancer cells.

2 comments:

  1. Maggie I bought you a book... its called "trail of thorns: The inner journey of a novice nun"



    P.s. have you heard from Lyndsey?


    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thank you Lauren! Yes, I have heard from Lyndsey, I wrote her a letter and she IM'd me yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete