Monday, March 21, 2005

Drama

Tonight I went with Shanana to the bi-weekly School Board Meeting. It was in the library of Hudson High School, and it was verrrry strange to be back in that building. Adding to the creep out factor was that my French teacher, Madame Eitel, was there. I don't think she recognized me.

The meeting itself was pretty harsh. The topic - at least of the "Public Comments" -was the principal, Roger Howard, of course, and how he should be rehired. People were maaaaaad. One fellow even walked toward the table where the board members were sitting, and the security guy jumped up and made him sit back down. There was plenty of shouting, and after the "public comments" section of the meeting was over, about 3/4 of the people in attendance left. I stuck around for about five minutes more, but I remembered about Mother and so I said good-bye to Shannon and came home.

On several lockers I saw signs: "I support Mr. Howard!" and I also saw a flier for the new "Save Our Schools" organization. I think maybe some people are freaking out at a slightly too-high pitch. I'm just not used to seeing entire organizations formed for the purpose of saving someone's job ;) Personally, from all I have heard, Mr. Howard is popular with both students and their parents, and also with the teachers. Which would normally raise red flags with me, especially in Hudson (the spoiled kiddies like this guy? And their enabling parents? He he he) but I haven't seen anything at all that shows that that's true in this case.

It's just that almost everyone likes him. The only ones unimpressed are the superintendent, and, apparently, the school board. It sucks, but I don't think any of us can do anything about the situation, since "the board has spoken," fine autocrats that they are. All you can do is vote them out in November, I'm afraid :(

1 comment: