Friday, April 08, 2005

I'm Back

I guess my blog hiatus is over today; Papa's funeral was at 10 o'clock Roman time, 4 o'clock Eastern United States time. I stayed up to watch it, of course! It would have perhaps been wiser to go to bed early and then get up for the Mass. Anyway, the Mass was incredibly moving. I kept flipping between Fox News and MSNBC; MSNBC had Archbishop John Foley, who has a "social communications" position in the Vatican, doing translations, so his were much better than the start-stop translation provided by Fox. However, MSNBC, I believe, had the insufferable Chris Matthews as a commentator, and at any rate, everyone on that channel kept talking over the Sistine Choir. So I mostly kept it to Fox.

The Sistine Choir, by the way, was lovely. I still have the "Credo, Credo, Aaaaaamen," stuck in my head. The Litany of the Saints was also sung very hauntingly. Cardinal Ratzinger - always my favorite - was singing the Requiem Mass; his homily was beautiful - he talked about John Paul looking down from the Father's window and blessing the crowds gathered.

Speaking of which, I have never seen such a huge mass of people! Shepard Smith on Fox also noted that about 2 billion people were watching on TV, which made it the most watched television event in history.

I was pretty good about keeping my cool all through the liturgy. But at the end, when the pallbearers held the coffin up a bit diagonally so that all the people could see it for one last time before they carried it into the Basilica, I just sort of went all sobby. Not just weepy, but total sobby! The choir was singing so beautifully just then, and it really is good-bye forever ... Well, good-bye until the Resurrection, I guess. I saw some bishops waving good-bye to the Holy Father as he entered St. Peter's basilica for the last time.

The good news is that, first, John Paul is almost certainly in Heaven and we can ask him to pray for us at the throne of Our Lord. Some of the people in the crowd were carrying signs that said, "Santo Subito!" Which means, "Make him a saint!" Of course, recorded and confirmed miracles are required as proof of intercession before a saint can be cannonized; and a saint can't intercede for us if we don't ask! So from now on, when you are in need, be sure to include in your prayers, "John Paul, please pray for me and ask God to help me."

The other good news is that I think I am "better" now. A funeral always provides closure, I think, and that little "sobby" period got everything out, lol. I will never forget the Holy Father, though. He was a wonderful Christian, and a father to me, as well.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Maggles. In case you don't get my email, I got it all on tape.

    Did you see Cardinal Ratzinger at the end, when he was waiting for the crowd to shut up so he could begin the burial rites? Holy fudge, did he seem ready to topple over. He had that scared look you get when you realize you're just about to vomit.

    Know what I mean? My poor Ratz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cardinal got to read? That's awesome! And no pressure, just millions and millions of people watching you do something, lol. ;)

    I can't believe they got so many people through communion! Did they have to break the rules and let non-Catholics take communion or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish the Ratz were my Cardinal. But no, I am blessed with Theodore McCarick, who is heartbreaker extraordiniaire.

    The Ratz didn't just read, he said the whole Mass! That's what you get for being the Dean of the College of Cardinals I guess.

    I didn't see any of the world leaders take Communion. There were plenty of proabort "Catholic" pols in the audience, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Ratz told them to skip it entirely.

    As for the people in the crowd, its an honor system thing. They can't say "please present your ID at the altar before receiving". hehehe. That's what I'd do, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By "yours" Bets, I meant the guy who's fanclub you belong to/have a thing up for in your room (right?)/bring up all the time, lol. ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Catholic ID card system would be an interesting idea, though... I mean, you could get Dirty Harry and Hillary! to be all for it as long as you explained it would be like a government program and promised them the opp to hand out green stamps or something, lol! ;) ;) :D

    ReplyDelete