Sunday, May 08, 2005

This was a peculiar weekend

This weekend was Moms Weekend, which in Ohio University parlance means that the whole campus has been swarming with mothers visiting their daughters. I don't think I know of any moms visiting their sons, he he. My mother didn't come, and neither did Lauren's; but just about everyone else either went home or had the maternal parent here. Lauren and I decided I should be her mother for the weekend, or maybe her grandmother, since I act the proper age and all ;)

Mass was odd today, it always is on "family weekends" because we have so many visitors. The first thing we did was stand up in the pews and greet each other. I'm really, really hoping that was just a special thing for the mothers. We do that at St. Mary's up in Hudson, and it's so annoying. Isn't that what the sign of peace is for? And I generally hate all that talky-talky before Mass. It's not in the GIRM, I hope they're not "innovating" ...

One good thing happened because of the little greeting session; the lady next to me asked me if I would like to join the Women's Club. She gave me her card; apparently she's an associate professor at Ohio U. She told me to e-mail her ... I wonder if I should! They only meet once a month, it wouldn't be that bad.

The other thing Father did that annoyed me was during the Ecce Agnus Dei. He said, "Behold the Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world and calls us to be His disciples. Happy are those who are called to His supper." You see, this was Ascension Sunday (grumble grumble lousy Province of Cincinnati rules) and the homily was about discipleship. Grrrr. Hopefully a temporary aberration - like I said, things are always a bit off on these visitor's days. Father is usually so good about sticking to the missal!

The statue of Mary was up front, waiting to be crowned, which they were going to have the little girls do before the next Mass. I didn't stay for that, though. I've never actually seen a May crowning, and I really should sometime. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I HATE when they change around the wording. I mean, it's worked the way it is for hundreds of years, etc., so why change it?

    You know, I don't want to jinx it, but it just might finally be spring for good...

    <3

    ReplyDelete