Monday, July 18, 2005

These people call themselves "Christians"

But that's not quite what I would call them. Here's an article featuring these folks.

DOVER - While members of an anti-American and anti-homosexual group from Kansas protested outside six Dover houses of worship on Sunday, church leaders emphasized tolerance to their congregations. Members of the Topeka-based Westboro Baptist Church protested outside Christ Episcopal Church, Holy Cross Catholic Church, St. John's Lutheran Church, Whatcoat Methodist Church, First Southern Baptist Church, and the Presbyterian Church of Dover.


As you can see, these people are big time picketers. They particularly target events and churches they perceive as being friendly to homosexuals. The Westboro Baptists are well known for their slogans, such as "God hates (expletive referring to homosexuals) and "Pope in Hell." The slogans featured in the picture that accompanies the article I have linked to are "Thank God for 9/11" and "God Hates You." The girl in the picture also has deliberately tied an American flag to her waist in such a manner that it will drag on the ground.

I remember reading a story about the Westboro Baptists in which they stood outside a Catholic church, screaming at the people going in, "Why are you bringing your children to this church? Don't you know they molest little boys here?"

Interestingly, the Catholic Church has often been a target of equally vicious attacks from homosexual activists; in the past, for instance, St. Patrick's Cathedral was the scene of horrible desecrations of the Blessed Sacrament.

I guess for the Westboro Baptists, it is pure heresy to preach that homosexuality is wrong and disordered, as well as that homosexuals are people who should be treated with dignity.

I'm not going to link to their website; you can Google them if you have a strong enough stomach. Basically it's one long screed against homosexuals, Jews, Catholics, America, anyone and anything not burning with hate. I would also point out that these folks also do not represent anyone but themselves; I am sure just about every Baptist would be horrified by this behavior.

Let's pray for them.

3 comments:

  1. :throws up:

    Why do people fear organized religion? I mean, seriously, I just DON'T GET IT!

    Considering asking the person we know with this "problem" the answer, but since that would lead to possible bloodshed and the last conversation I would ever have with her, I'm going to postpone it for now, lol. ;)

    At least this crazies are going to get a nice, toasty reward, though, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although... I don't know the church so I can't call it for sure... Protesting outside an Episcopal church might not be such a bad idea... Persay...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, getting to a place in my head where I can pray for people that hate religion WOULD be a good thing for me to do... :adds to "The List":

    ReplyDelete