Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The War of the Worlds

Great movie! I know, I know. It stars Tom Cruise, who has of late truly proved himself to be either an incredible ignoramus or a complete nutcase, particularly with reference to such subjects as psychiatry. However, this has not caused any problems with his acting ability ;) Maybe I am just a genuine wimp, but I was scared the whole way through the film. Excellent.

The author of the classic book, H.G. Wells, was a pretty nasty anti-Catholic, and as a matter of fact, an atheist. At the end of the movie, however, there is a line about how God's creation played a really remarkable role (I'm sure everyone knows how the story comes out, but I'm being oblique just in case). Very interesting tie-together of evolution and intelligent design - really very similar to a version of the classical Catholic reconciliation of the two. You can read more about the movie here.

No comments:

Post a Comment