Friday, December 02, 2005

Ah, work

As it turns out, my 4-10 pm engraving shift got cancelled and I am instead employed Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 8-5, GIFT WRAPPING. As you might imagine, I stink at it. The people I work for are also extremely picky about the wrapping job and have slight fits if the bow is not tied just so. So, I have only worked two day so far and I am already hating it :( There's also the fact that it requires constant standing, the whole day through - it's basically a factory job with an assembly line and everything. My back has killed me after both shifts. Maybe I will get used to it.

The best (and worst) part of the job is Sheryl, the girl who works at the station across from me. From the first minute of work in the morning until the last in the evening, she regales me with tales of horror from her life. She is almost 20 and just graduated high school. She got pregnant during her senior year and had to skip her prom last June. She doesn't know her father at all, her mother has been repeatedly divorced, and is currently dating a registered sex offender. Her sister is currently embroiled in an adulterous relationship. Etc, etc. Every revelation is darker and more sick-making. Of course I don't mind lending a sympathetic ear, but it is sort of annoying to try to listen when one is in the middle of one's twelfth vain attempt to tie a Red Envelope Company ribbon. However, it does make the day go faster, and she is wonderful about helping me out if I don't know where to find something on the factory floor. Charity, charity! I have a good deal to learn about the exercise of charity.

The temperature took a drastic plummet this week, and it looks like it's going to stay that way. There's also going to be quite a bit of snow. Which I don't mind. Except when I have to drive in it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment