Thursday, December 08, 2005

Winter wonderland

That's what Ohio is tonight - especially if icy roads, in particular, fill you with "wonder." ;)

Tonight I went into a terrible skid on Rt. 91. I was all over the road, and I'm sure I went left of center, although I'm not positive since the lane markers were invisible under the snow. Luckily, I did not get into an accident, since few other people were insane enough to go out for milk and cigarettes (for my mother! Not for me!) at 9 o'clock at night in the middle of a snow storm. The little skidding incident certainly put the fear of the ice into me and I absolutely crawled back down 91.

People keep asking me how my job is going. What can I say? It's gift wrapping, ugh. It's a job. It is a real Athens reunion at the factory; half the people working there are students from Ohio University - the long Christmas holiday really encourages people to get temporary work, I guess. The girl I worked with today is both a sophomore at OU and a 2004 graduate of Hudson High School. I remembered her from HHS - she was a year behind me, but I recognized her right away.

Now, the work is not that bad, but it is rather stressful as the foreman has a habit of speeding up the conveyor belt. And if one does not wrap in a precise, certain way, one gets a thorough scolding. The boxes that are to be wrapped have very sharp edges but nevertheless have to be packed tightly, and so my hands have gotten horribly cut up. Last time I didn't even realize I was bleeding; I just noticed that the pearl white ribbon we use kept getting red stains on it. But as I said, it's a job! And the money is pretty good.

Thursday is my last day of work for the week. I've got a three day break coming my way, and I am going to try to get my mother to go for the plenary indulgence offered by the Holy Father in honor of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. We went to Mass, obviously, but one thing we're missing is: Sacramental confession! Let's see what kind of success I have with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment