Friday, February 10, 2006

Grrr

I'm already kind of in a bad mood today. I went to the library pre-sale yesterday and came upon a couple treasures: a Don Camillo book, a fine copy of Dante, and Alessandro Manzoni's I Promessi Sposi in the orignial Italian - not that I can actually read Italian, of course :)

However, the pre-sale prices are double the regular price, so I went home sans les livres, telling myself that I would hurry back early the next day. Needless to say, when I got back to the library today, the only one of the three still on the tables was the Manzoni. Blast! So I was forced to buy just that one, plus One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich(just to relive the awfulness of the Soviets) Mitford's The American Way of Death, a reader on Aristotle, and a book of Gerard Manley Hopkins' poetry. Five dollars, total.

Shucks. Oh well. It was a learning experience. From now on, whenever I see something by Guareschi on sale I am going to snap it up, regardless of price.

No comments:

Post a Comment