Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Busy, busy Ash Wednesday

Well, I have successfully completed the black fast. I haven't felt that hungry, either. Strange.

Ash Wednesday services were very ehh as they usually are. The church was extremely crowded; we had people lining the walls and the aisles; at Communion time they got smashed up in the Mary alcove and by the sanctuary. I met my good friend Leslie there, I don't see her often enough! It was nice to talk to her and hear about her travails with Resident Evil and the guy who says the "What is that?" line all the time.

The celebrant was actually the priest who is preaching our parish Lenten mission; he was formerly the pastor of our university parish, down the street. He is an excellent homilist.

The main thing that sort of bleh-ified the evening was the music. For instance, as it was last year (and the year before?), the recessional was the horrid vaguely heretical "Ashes." You know the one with that memorable line: We rise again from ashes to create ourselves anew. This hymn actually drew fire from George Weigel a couple years ago in a round up of nasty lounge songs pretending to be music suitable for use in worship.

The entrance hymn was also unsingable. I will swallow my pride and admit that I like the modern musical interpretation of the responsorial psalm which they used, even though the words were somewhat altered to allow for the melody. Also, I should really get off my high-horse and quit whining about things like music, when Our Lord surely intends me to focus on more Lent-y things like conversion and repentance. So, no more whining. Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment