Friday, June 16, 2006

Book sale

One pleasant thing (among many) about going away to live at and attend college is that one is exposed to the university Friends of the Library sale. Universities are fairly cosmopolitan places and one can be fairly confident that one will find something valuable at the book sale. Although one also comes across some not-so-good stuff, as well. I remember one quarter when I kept finding books by Fr. Richard McBrien and Fr. Andrew Greeley (both the latter's fiction (double ew) and his sociology works). I also once stumbled on some effusion from the infamous Hans Kung.

Local library sales are somewhat less interesting, but can still be helpful. I went to the Hudson Library's yesterday, and I came away with some good books. A very old copy of Butler's Lives of the Saints, Amy Vanderbilt's Etiquette, a research aid for fiction writers, a collection of Dame Du Maurier, and finally and most interestingly, a New St. Joseph's Missal from 1966. The English translation of the Mass as it is now known in parishes was not yet in force (I believe it didn't come into force until 1970).

This Ordo begins with the priest saying, "I will go to the altar of God." And the server responds, "To God Who gives joy to my youth." "Chalice," "And with your spirit," "I believe," "We praise You. We bless You. We worship You. We glorify You," are all heard in abundance.

For the most part it seems to be a straight English translation of the old Tridentine rite; in fact, the Latin original of many parts is printed just below. It seemed to be assumed that some parts of the Mass (although not the Eucharistic prayer) would still be in Latin. Reading through it, I've come to the conclusion that it was a lot closer to what the fathers of the Second Vatican Council would have wanted than the form the liturgy has in most parishes now.

An interesting find...

Incidentally, there was also a collection of the documents of the Second Vatican Council. I was all eager to buy it until I saw on the back cover that it was merely one of those versions which are rushed out by publishing companies; it was not the "official" version. It also included commentary and replies from Protestants and Orthodox theologians. Knowing how those documents have been badly manipulated and distorted, I decided it would be better to keep my eye out for the final texts.

I paid $5 for the whole lot. Not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment