Saturday, June 09, 2007

Pomp and Circumstance

Where is the law written that this song must be played at every graduation ceremony? Not that I mind.

Anyway, today I walked at my graduation from Ohio University, even though I technically received my diploma back in the fall. Only one of my old roomies walked and she was in the second ceremony later in the afternoon. :( I missed them! So basically I was was seated near a loud bunch of strangers.

My tassel was crimson for the journalism degree and my honor cords were silver for the magna cum laude. The entire Scripps College sat together, and so there were a lot of silver tassels for the Communications major.

What I found most interesting about the commencement exercises at this very secular public institution was the fact that the lines etched on our college gate, "So enter, that daily thou mayest grow in knowledge, wisdom and love" and "So depart, that daily thou mayest better serve thy fellowmen, thy country and thy God" were printed on the front and back of the program. The inside cover states:
"This simple wisdom, mirroring a Latin inscription found over the main portal of the University of Padua in Italy, extends an honorable challenge to all who walk the brick pathways of the College Green. The Gateway, a gift of the Class of 1915 to mark the 100th anniversary of the first graduating class of Ohio University, reminds us of the core values that shape the enduring bond formed between the university and its graduates."
And in his closing address before conferring our degrees, President McDavis even read it out loud and made a point of emphasizing it.

Of course, the gate on the other side of the campus is etched with the lines from one of our founding documents, originally penned in 1787, to the effect that "Religion, morality, and knowledge, being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged." Close examination of the university seal also will note that the Latin motto is Religio Doctrina Civilitas, Prae Omnibus Virtus - "Religion, Learning, Civility - Above All, Virtue"

I was somewhat surprised - but quite pleased.

All in all it was a very nice day; one of my favorite professors, Professor Debatin, remembered me and congratulated me. Now it's time to get some sleep. We had to wake at 3 in the morning to get to Athens in time for the ceremonies. Zzz.

3 comments:

  1. Maggie,

    I'm impressed. Now that you've graduated and all, anytime you want to guest blog about American Federalism, you just say the word. ;) As my buddy Samuel says: I joke, I kid, I tease.

    -MT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!

    My tassel was black. It was the color on the collar of my hood that showed my major: white for English. The inside of my hood was red, silver, and blue (school colors). My robe was the traditional black.

    May God bless you and Mary guide you as you enter this new stage of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A belated congratulations Maggie; may God's providential graces guide you and Our Lord and His Mother keep you.

    My regards to your sister Sister we miss her blogging at Saint Blog's Parish!
    +JMJ+ John

    ReplyDelete