Thursday, April 27, 2006

Ooops

I've just realized that I've never given a rundown on this quarter's courses. So let me bore you with a few brief descriptions.

My first class is Online Journalism, taught by one of my old professors, Dr. Stewart. He's a really nice guy and truly knows his stuff. The class is quite fascinating and fairly laid-back so far; the "big, involved project" part will be writing a story for his news site, ATHENSi.com. It's good experience.

My Tuesday-Thursday 10 am class is Electronic Publishing, which is actually taught by my faculty advisor, Dr. Westfall. It involves working with software like Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe InDesign (gulp) so I'm not very good at it. But it's actually kind of fun.

Then I have my Tier III class, which is taught by another professor of my acquaintance (wow, I really know quite a few of them, don't I?) Dr. Buchanan. It's a class on medieval manuscripts and medieval culture in general. If you want to know if I enjoy this class, just ponder this: One of the required texts is the Rule of St. Benedict. That is how Catholic-focused the course is. Not, alas, always conducted in an enlightened manner (for instance, the class recently spent a good half hour discussing how horrid the rigors of monastic life were). Nevertheless, the professor is pretty fair... And frankly, in what other class at a school like OU would I get to be tested on how well I know the implements of the liturgy, the architectural highlights and floor plan of Old St. Peter's Basilica, and the purpose of Gregorian Chant?

My other classes are the notorious Communication Law class, which nevertheless has a very droll professor, and the Ohio History After 1850 class, which is very dull but not too difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment